This roasted red pepper hummus is perfect for dipping, slathering on pita bread, or stuffing in a sandwich! It’s super creamy, a little smoky, and absolutely delicious!
I got the idea for this red pepper hummus from Wegman’s. They sell it in their olive bar. I started buying it and it wasn’t long before I became completely addicted!
In an effort to save myself some trips to the store, I decided to create a recipe for homemade roasted red pepper hummus. It was pretty easy and the result was delicious! This stuff is a little bit creamier than regular hummus and packs a slightly sweet, subtly smoky flavor.
What You’ll Need
- Chickpeas. The recipe calls for canned chickpeas. You can use dried chickpeas, but you’ll need to soak and cook them first. Try one of these methods.
- Tahini. This is a paste made from sesame seeds that can be found in the international foods sections of most supermarkets.
- Roasted red peppers. Use jarred roasted red peppers packed in brine.
- Lemon juice. Use freshly squeezed juice for the best flavor.
How to Make Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
The following is a summary on how to make this dish. Scroll all the way down if you’d like to skip right to the full recipe.
- Place all of your ingredients into a food processor bowl. (Some blenders work too — I love making hummus in my Vitamix!) Make sure you drain and rinse your chickpeas, and drain the peppers. I like to also blot the peppers dry to avoid introducing too much liquid into the mix.
- Blend everything until smooth and creamy.
- Give your hummus a taste-test and adjust any of the seasonings to your taste. This might mean adding more lemon juice, more cumin, or more salt.
- Transfer your hummus to a serving bowl and dig in!
Leftovers & Storage
Leftover hummus will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for about 5 days, or in the freezer for about 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s great spread on pita bread, used as a dip for veggies, or as a sandwich or wrap dressing.
This is an oil-free hummus recipe! Olive oil is a traditional ingredient in most hummus recipes, but I found that this one didn’t need it — the peppers add plenty of flavor and creaminess.
More Hummus Recipes
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
This roasted red pepper hummus is extra creamy and packed with the tangy and slightly sweet flavor of roasted red bell peppers.
(14 ounce or 400 gram) can
drained and rinsed
jarred roasted red peppers,
drained and blotted dry
plus more to taste
Place all of the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor fitted with an s-blade. Blend until smooth.
Taste-test the mixture and adjust any seasonings to your taste.
Makes about 1 ¾ cups.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Amount Per Serving (0.25 cups)
Calories from Fat 39
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 0.6g3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.